Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013

I'm giving out a "character we love to hate" award

By Ian Coppock

     Video games are full of characters we seethe at. Throughout my gaming career, I've found more than a few traitors, tricksters, and all-around assholes that, despite being digital, I've sworn vengeance upon with the same vigor I would if they were real. What drives me to such ridiculous behavior? These characters are smug, smart, and sometimes selfish. We hate them because their goals seem to us so foreign and irrational, but to them are the world. These characters exist to ramp up a video game's tension and uncertainty.


     Until a few days ago, the Illusive Man from the Mass Effect series was the character I most loved to hate. I take personal issue with his mantra of "the ends justify the means" but after being manipulated in Mass Effect 2 and then confronted militarily in 3, I'd had enough of this frustratingly well-written character. Much as I praise Bioware for their deep story development, I loved to hate the Illusive Man. You're never sure if he's there to help or hinder you, and seems to manipulate people and events for his own devices. Throughout the game, I wondered what could drive anyone to such sketchy zealotry.
     The Illusive Man has done an admirable job of carrying the torch of douchebaggery, but the time has come to pass it on to someone else. The new Character we Love to Hate is Jacob Danik, a Unitologist militant (left of Isaac in the picture below).



     Like the Illusive Man, Danik is suave, charismatic, and completely insane. His goals are an enigma, and I felt like he was the one controlling the situations I found myself in. As with the Illusive Man, Danik exhibits a strong sense of duty and a firm belief that his goals deserve accomplishment, no matter the cost. This creates a deliciously frustrating game element, one that was evident to an extent in the other Dead Space games with Challus Mercer and Dana Le Guin. It certainly gave me more to worry about than just the Necromorphs, especially since this Uni actually commands soldiers.
     So congratulations, Visceral. You've toppled the Illusive Man, a feat I thought impossible.
   
     What are your favorite video game characters to hate? Do you think the Illusive Man should still retain his award? Leave a comment in the area below.

2 comments:

  1. I will enter Ansem of KH1 as a contender. Followed Closely by Gary (or whatever name you choose for your rival) of the Pokemon games leading up to and including Gold and Silver for GB Color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ansem is an excellent example of an antagonist you grow to despise. Since it's not enough for him to control an army of Heartless, he has to hound Sora at every turn and turn Riku against him. His goals are anathema to what we, the gamers, perceive as reason. Well-spotted.

      Gary's another good example, especially in the vein of personal rival. Thinking back, I remember naming him something very unflattering.... I think it was "sh-tbird".

      Delete